Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Surviving Back-To-School Season as a Homeschooler

I think if you homeschool , be it year around or during the traditional school year, public school's "Back-to-School" season can be bit of  a challenge because it clearly highlights our different lifestyle. To survive this time as a homeschooler without becoming defensive, we must remember that Back-to-School  is a retail season.   Just like every other retail season in America, it will come at us from all sides. We will see those cute new backpacks as we grocery shop, and our news-feed will start filling up with smiling kids in their new gear on their first day of school. I must remember that it is the advertiser's job is to create a "want" where there wasn't one before, making back to school as appealing as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good deal on school supplies, and I wish all the happiness on those smiling faces getting on buses with their new clothes and backpacks!  Even with awesome deals, I  must be careful not to become defensive of choosing a different path than most of my friends.  Last Winter I wrote a post about Defending versus Defensive; Security in My Choice to Homeschool.   I am challenging myself NOW not to become defensive.  I am also praying for compassion for those public school friends who also become defensive in response to my choice to homeschool.

The biggest challenge I face during Back-to-School season has nothing to do with  sale on glue sticks, but  how it subtly shifts my friendships. My public school friends will change their routine again, and our friendships again change.  They attend Daytime Bible Studies, meet for Starbucks after school drop-off, and discuss PTA issues.  There is NOTHING wrong with their routine, but  our conversations change because we have less in common and less time together during this season.

Whether you feel called to homeschool for faith reasons, or you just recognize it is what is best for your family, it is important to remember this is lifestyle.  Even if you only plan to homeschool for only a year, it against the mainstream and it changes more in your life than you first realize. Having a different lifestyle from others can be just plain hard sometimes, especially if you struggle with insecurity.

More than any other time of the year, Back-To-School Season highlights that I have a different lifestyle than many of my friends. And that is OK. I still love them, and they love me. We have a different routine, but we do not have a different end goal.  We all love our kids, and we all want them to be the best version of them they can be.

One practical way I am committing to celebrate the back-to-school time, instead of becoming defensive, will be to pray for each of the children that show up on my news-feed in their brand new backpacks.  I want to pray for their teacher, their parents, and their school year.  My boys may one day marry one of these beautiful public school girls, or become best friends with a public school boy.  I must stop looking at my own insecurities, and look at the amazing children  who will change our world one day, public school and home schooled alike.

2 comments:

  1. Oh this is such a good reminder for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad it could help someone else!

      Delete