Search This Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Easy Red Enchilada Sauce

I never thought I'd be one to make my own Enchilada sauce, but necessity is the mother of invention.  I tinkered with a few recipes last month when we were snowed in and I was craving enchiladas. I am sure it isn't super authentic, but my family LOVES it, and it goes great with my Freezer Chicken Enchiladas.

Easy Red Enchilada Sauce

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 3-4 teaspoons chili powder 
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1/4 cup salsa (as mild or as spicy as your your family likes)
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 1/4 cup chicken broth

  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
  2. Add the onion, oregano, chili powder, basil, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, parsley, salsa and tomato sauce.
  3. Mix together and then stir in the broth.
  4.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. 
Sidenote: I read if you simmer longer, the flavor is even better, but I haven't had the patience to wait yet.
I tripled the above recipe,
 because why make one when you can make three?

No comments:

Post a Comment