Freezer Baked Ziti
- 9 x13 Disposable casserole dish and lid
Ingredients (one Pan)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1/2 pound Italian Sausage
- 2 Jars Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 16 oz Ziti, Cooked Until Not Quite Al Dente
- 1 tub (15 Oz.) Skim Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 1 pound Mozzarella Cheese, Grated
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Egg
1. Cook garlic, and onions in pan with olive oil. Add Italian sausage and cook until browned. Drain off fat if any, leaving a bit behind for flavor and moisture.
2. Add Spaghetti Sauce, stewed tomatoes, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Stir and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. After that time, remove about 2 cups of the sauce to a different bowl to cool down.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella, parmesan, egg, and salt and pepper. Stir together just a couple of times (do not mix completely).
4. While doing that cook pasta according to directions on pot. Drain & rinse under cool water.
5. Pour pasta into the bowl with the cheese mixture and toss to slightly combine (there should still be large lumps.)
6. Add the cooled meat sauce to pasta/cheese mixture and toss to combine.
7. Add half the pasta mixture to a 9x13 dish. Spoon half set aside of the remaining tomato/meat sauce over the top, and then top with half the remaining mozzarella cheese. Repeat with another layer of the coated pasta, sauce, and the mozzarella cheese.
Cover with two layers of foil (to avoid freezer burn), label, and freeze. Used within 3 months.
Bake for 20 minutes, 375 degree, or until bubbling. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.