Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

One Pot Rice & Beans Burrito Bowl


We love Rice & Beans!  On a tight budget, they fill the stomach of my two very hungry boys and one hungry husband.  This recipe is a simple staple of our house, one I always have the ingredients for in my pantry.  You will see their are several items optional, or with easy substitutions.

ONE POT RICE & BEANS BURRITO BOWL
Dairy & Gluten free

Ingredients

  • 1 cup of shredded chicken (optional)
  • 3 TBSP of olive oil
  • 1 cup of white rice
  • 1 cup of your favorite salsa (sub 1 can of rotel OR 1 can of diced tomatoes for less spice)
  • 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (optional, I use when I don’t have chicken)
  • 1 TBSP of Taco seasoning (I make my own, add more if you liked spicier food))
  • 1 cup of frozen corn (optional, I love corn in my Mexican food) 
  • 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock or broth (you can also use water in a pinch)
  • Salt to taste


  1. Sauté chicken in 2 tsbp oil with salt. (leave out to make vegetarian or if you don’t have any chicken on hand) 
  2. Move chicken to one side of pan, in the other side of the pan add another tablespoon of olive oil and keep stirring and sauté uncooked rice until some grains start to turn light brown (about 2 min). This makes the rice into NON-sticky rice, cooking some of the starch out.
  3. Stir in black beans, salsa, chicken broth and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low.
  4. Cook about 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Let sit for 5 minutes to absorb all the liquid.
  5. Season with additional salt if needed. I serve with tortilla chips so I don’t add much salt.  Can also serve inside burritos. My kids add cheese to theirs, but I eat mine plain to be dairy free.



No comments:

Post a Comment